Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Songs That Saved Your Life

Some time back, my friend Mathyld tagged me with "10 songs that built me and / or changed my life." Normally I don't go for this sort of thing, but in this case, I thought that it was a really great idea, and somewhat appropriate here since music and sound play into what I do and am interested in with my work.

So, in no particular order:
1:
Seele Brennt, Einstürzende Neubauten
I bought the EN compilation Strategies Against Architecture II from a used record store while I was in Junior High. I had no idea what to expect, knowing only that they were "a bunch of weird German who built their instruments out of trash."
Listening to this record the first time scared me, being so far removed from anything that I had ever heard before. The CD set came with extensive liner notes, which were as interesting to me as the music itself. The components of each song were explained in detail, from lyrics to the purpose behind each noise-making object used. Looking back, besides opening up my musical horizons, I think that this album became sort of foundational to my later artmaking practice, instilling this idea that the process and the materials can be just as important as the final object.
Seele Brennt is an emotionally and physically draining song. It makes me hurt a little every time I hear it. The lyrics are whispered, due to Blixa having lost his voice before recording. As he raises his voice to a shriek at about 4:38 into the song, you can hear the precise moment that something in his vocal cords breaks. Amazing.

2:
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before, The Smiths
I could substitute pretty much any Smiths song here, but this is the first Smiths song that I remember hearing where something buzzed and resonated inside my ears and brain. I am eternally grateful to Morrissey and company for helping get me through so much.

3:
(You're My) Radio One, Henry's Dress
Much like the Smiths, this could be anything from the Henry's Dress discography. The fuzzed out noisy bass and jangly guitar will always sound like Summer 1994.

4:
February Fourteenth, Lilys
Dry Summer nights, driving through the desert with the windows down, mix tapes.

5:
Firecracker, Frail
One of the first hardcore records that I ever bought was Frail's Idle Hands Hold Nothing 7" and it came into my life at a period when I was getting involved with a punk scene that was emotional, politically engaged, participatory and totally at odds with the more meatheaded aspects of hardcore. This song sums up that amazing period that was DIY hardcore in the '90s for me. I came away from it having gained so many of the guiding principles in my life--veganism, straight edge, political awareness, a sense of personal responsibility, and a love for DIY culture.

6:
New Jersey vs Valhalla, Orchid
This pretty much sums up the horrible, horrible Summer of 2000 for me. Seeing Orchid play this at ABC No Rio early that fall and getting hurt in the process was just the cathartic release that I needed.

7:
The Accidental Protégé, Death In June
Dodgy aesthetic politics aside, Death In June were an absolutely perfect band, especially circa the albums What Ends When the Symbols Shatter and Roseclouds of Holocaust. One of my favorite images that I've made was inspired by a misheard lyric from this song.

8:
The Drowning, Christian Death
A tad embarassing, this one, although I still do love this song. When I would visit my Mother in Kentucky during the Summer as a kid, I would trade tapes with my friend's brother. One of the first things he taped for me was Christian Death's Catastrophe Ballet, thus beginning my proto-goth phase in 8th grade. The take-away lesson from this was that I look horrible with black hair.

9:
Attitude, Bad Brains
Probably the best (if not only) punk song inspired by the book "Think and Grow Rich." Seriously, how amazing is HR's dancing in this video? Positively positive.

10:
Babysbreath, Lovesliescrushing
I once planned for this to be the last song that I would ever hear. It's perfect.

That's it...it's difficult to narrow it down to only ten... I had to leave out so many things-- The Cranes' Beautiful Friend, Minor Threat's In My Eyes, Babes In Toyland's Real Eyes, Big A Little A by Crass, and Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger, etc. etc. So many crucial songs...

That's it for this very long post. Please see Mathyld's original post and list here.

2 comments:

Mathyld / under the pyramids said...

Those are good ones, Jeremy.

HR has the bestest dance moves, indeed !!! Strangely enough, it never occured to me to watch a video of them ... So thanks for that.

Go sXe !
x x x
___m___

Uncle Edguardo said...

You have been a huge influence on me musically, Jeremy. I don't know if I ever thanked you for that. So, a most heartfelt thank you. And thank you for these amazing posts. Ed